Originally called Bourne's Island (1680), then Somervell's Island (1740), it became known as Solomons Island in 1870 because of Isaac Solomon's oyster packing facilities. Solomons' home still stands on the front of the island.
In the 19th century, shipyards developed to support the island's fishing fleet. The Marsh Shipyard built schooners and sloops, but became famous for its bugeyes, the forerunner of the skipjack. In the War of 1812, Commodore Joshua Barney's flotilla sailed from here to attack British vessels on the Chesapeake Bay. The deep, protected harbor has been a busy marine center ever since.
Solomons is the home of the Calvert Marine Museum. This is an accredited museum, whose exhibits include:
The Wm. B. Tennison
Drum Point Lighthouse, relocated at the Solomons Museum
The J. C. Lore Oysterhouse, owned by the museum, is open to the public from May through September. The oysterhouse exhibit depicts the seafood harvesting and processing business which once flourished in the Solomons.
information gathered from the Solomons Island Tourist Center
Return to Main page