The Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum was established in 1983
as a state museum of archaeology and history. The property comprising
the park and museum was donated to the state of Maryland by Mary
Breckenridge Patterson in memory of her late husband, Jefferson
Patterson. JPPM includes more than 500 acres of farmland along
both the Patuxent River and St. Leonard's Creek in Calvert County.
More than 70 archaeological sites, dating from c. 6500 B.C. to
the 1940s, have been located on the property. One of the missions
of the museum is to locate, document, preserve, and interpret
these archaeological sites.
center, formerly a barn for showing cattle, has been converted to a museum of
colonial artifacts and ice age fossils. It also serves as a classroom for teacher
training workshops, hands-on archaeology, public lectures, school groups, and
Boy Scouts seeking to earn their archaeology badge. Future educational program
are being designed to provide undergraduate and graduate students experience
in archaeological collections management, laboratory analysis, and interpretation.
Click here to see an aerial photo of
Jefferson Patterson Park.
The Farm Museum
The original post-colonial farm, Point Farm, was owned by the Peterson family from 1832 to 1932. Dr. Peterson also provided medical care from his office located next to the farm house.
In 1932, Jefferson Patterson acquired the farm and built a large brick house on the site of the old farm house. The design of the house was based on the architectural traditions of tidewater Maryland. The farm and cattle operation was managed, and the Pattersons otherwise used their country home as a retreat between Foreign Service assignments.
Mrs. Patterson has bequeathed the property to the State of Maryland for the park and museum, but retains the house and surrounding acres for her lifetime.
The Maryland Archaeological Conservation (MAC) Laboratory
The nearly completed state-of-the-art conservation and curation facility
for the state's archaeological collections, is the centerpiece
of JPPM's research programs. The MAC Lab comprises more than 38,000
square feet of laboratory, collections storage, and office space,
and includes a Material Sciences Lab and a Paleonenvironmental
Lab. Artifacts and records from thousands of archaeological sites
throughout Maryland are housed at the new lab. The MAC Lab's 4,000
volume library represents one of the most extensive holdings in
history, archaeology, and anthropology in Maryland and will shortly
be on-line. The MAC Lab has recently acquired the Re:discovery
software package and efforts are underway to create a computerized
data base of the state's archaeological collections. All of the
resources of the MAC Lab are available to archaeologists, students,
and educators, and accommodations for visiting researchers are
Lists of potential student research projects utilizing the artifacts
at the MAC Lab are now being developed. An intensive, hands-on
summer field school in archaeological collectionsmanagement,
analysis, and interpretation is also being developed and will
be offered beginning in 1999.
Exerpted from their brochure.
Photographs by Calvert County Living
Jefferson Patterson Park now has its own website, including a calendar of
special events. It may be found at http://JEFPAT.ORG.