One of the earliest towns and ports in Calvert
County, Lower Marlboro was originally named Coxtown. Lower Marlboro has been
designated a historic district, against the protests of some of the original
The town developed around the port. Sailing ships brought in supplies and settlers and returned to Baltimore or Alexandria with tobacco and other products from the plantations and farms in the area.
By the late 1800's, steamships were making regular runs to Lower Marlboro as well as other wharfs on the Patuxent River. The town included warehouses, a harbor master's house, a general store, a tavern, a blacksmith shop, an inn, most of which did not survive time, storms, and fire.
The Harbor Master's house became the general store and post office.
The meeting house and a church have survived.
The tavern burned down and was replaced by this home.
See The Swampoodle Book for more history (available at Calvert County libraries).
When roads were finally built, the river commerce was replaced and the village reverted to homes and farms. Lower Marlboro now consists of about 40 houses and 200 people. Many of the residents are the current generation of the original families.
The village enjoys a beautiful river front view.
What is left of the wharf, where steam boats brought supplies, passengers and slaves. Check for a geocache.